Sunday, November 05, 2006

French Toast Sunday


Today I was planning on going to the Mountain View Farmer's Market- all bundled up in a cute autumny sweater and camera in hand. Sadly, it didn't happen. I missed the lightrail, then the connection, and finally decided after waiting 30 minutes for the right lightrail that I would rather be home cooking. My tummy rumbled in agreement, so I swung on the next lightrail home. Mountain View will be there next Sunday, as shall I.

I already knew what I wanted as the rail bumped and squeaked and clattered its way towards my stop. I am very much a breakfast food girl- from runny scrambled eggs to pancakes and waffles. My last shopping trip had seen the purchase of a large French loaf however, and although the bulk of it was planned for another recipe I'll be making soon, I figured I could spare two or three slices from the end for my breakfast.



This recipe is very simple, and can be made in a flash. The ingredients here are for one person, but it's very easy to double, triple, quadruple, etc.

Sunday French Toast

3 slices of French bread
1 egg
1/4 cup half and half
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
dash salt

Whisk the egg and half and half together. Add the salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, and whisk until blended. Take each slice of bread and place it into the egg mixture, soaking up slightly. Turn and coat the other side. Pleace the bread into a large frying pan set on medium heat. Cook each side until golden brown.

You can top yours with anything from syrup to chocolate, but in this case I sprinkled some superfine sugar, a little extra cinnamon, and some thinned down cranberry jam.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one yummy looking breakfast!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Hah, thank you!

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home