Tuesday, October 24, 2006

SHF #24: Mini Pumpkin Cookies with Crème Fraîche


When I read the rules for Sugar High Friday's entry, I was enchanted. Visions of petit fours, tiny tarts, or little canapés of fruit danced through my head. Should I use chocolate? Something fancy with a raspberry reduction? No, I wanted something simple, earthy. Something reminiscent of back to school days, pencils, and books. Suddenly, I knew what I wanted to make.

I'd been looking for an excuse to make a classic pumpkin cookie. I had been putting it off though, because I plan to bake a batch of pumpkin muffins soon, and didn't want to make everyone around me sick of pumpkin so quickly into autumn. Once decided, however, I firmly resolved to go ahead with my pumpkin plan, and everyone else could just deal with it.

I adapted a pumpkin drop cookie recipe, making small changes to suit the taste I wanted to achieve. I'd be making the crème fraîche by hand too, and didn't want to over spice the cookies. I halved the recipe, and still ended up with quite a bit of extra batter, which was easy to whip into some larger size cookies for the neighbours. Spreading autumn cheer with efficiency!

I couldn't decide if I wanted a thin and crispy cookie, as I planned originally, or mini drop cookies. In the end I made both, and went with the thicker cookie to balance out the flavour of the crème fraîche.

The taste was exactly what I was looking for: nutty, earthy, and home. Not too sweet, and not too rich.

The recipe ended up being alot of fun keeping to a mini amount. A note, I've included the full cookie recipe, it makes great cookies even when not in miniscule form. :) The original pumpkin recipe is adapted from Susan Kosoff's Good Old-Fashioned Cookie Recipes.



Mini Pumpkin Cookie Sandwiches with Crème Fraîche


1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground nutmeg


1.) Preheat oven to 375.
2.) Cream butter and sugar until light and smooth.
3.) Beat in egg and vanilla. Add pumpkin a few tablespoons at a time until well blended.

4.) In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add in thirds to creamed mixture.
5.) Drop onto cookie sheets, and bake 6-8 minutes until edges begin to brown.*

*for mini-cookies, I used a 1/8 tsp for size consistency. The baking time was closer to 10
minutes, just keep an eye. When the edges turn a dark golden, they're done. Remove and
cool on a baking rack.

Take the mini cookies, and add a small dollop of crème fraîche to each side. Press
together lightly. Serve immediately, or chilled.



Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Mmmm, these sound heavenly - I love all pumpkin cookies, pies and muffins! I like the creme fraiche idea as well - rather like the heavenly pumpkin & cream cheese muffins I had in New York :-) THanks for joining in!

12:41 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

very cute AND seasonal!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Jeanne: Aren't pumpkin related desserts the coziest? Something SO autumnal about them!

Sam: Thank you! I had way too much fun with this... :)

2:47 PM  
Blogger Brilynn said...

It must have taken you forever to fill all of those cookie sandwiches...

10:26 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

TPC: I would love to hear how those work out with fresh pumpkin meat! I can only imagine they would be even better.

Brilynn: It took a little time, but I'm sure that the constant "taste tests" didn't help. ;)

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home