Thursday, November 09, 2006

A Burst of Colour


I have been spoiled entirely too much lately. The company that I work for has done some dinners recently, and fortunately for me the rest of the team loves sushi just as much as I do. I usually don't got out for sushi much, even though I adore it, simply because the price can be a bit high. When someone else is paying however...

My favourite without a doubt is the unagi. Unagi anything really, unagi donburi (Or uyadon), unagi nigiri (pictured below), unagi maki... it's broiled eel with a sweet shoyu (soy) sauce. If I knew how to attempt this at home, I would, but since I fear my seemingly general inability to cook any form of a successful Asian dish; well I'll just leave it to the pros.



Here in the Silicon Valley, many sushi restaurants are Korean-owned. This usually means an appetizer of glass noodles, or jabchae. This chilled dish has a strong sesame oil flavour, but is fantastic with the kimchi and other pickles served with the main course. Although not a taste I'd associate with the subtle colour of sushi, I've come to look forward to the small plain dish of unassuming noodles and carrots.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I've been too chicken to try the eel... I usually get the tuna or salmon or yellow fin. Thanks for the great pics!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I put a picture of the salmon we had on my flickr page, ( http://tinyurl.com/y3qw2g )

it was amazingly marbled, and so flavourful! You should give the eel a try- start small with a unagi maki or a caterpillar roll (avocado, crab, burdock and eel), and then move to the nigiri. Love it!

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Zubaidatariq said...

Hi....

your post is really amazing..it was amazingly marbled, and so flavorful!
great pics!Love it!Thanks for sharing this.

John Williams
Zubaida Tariq Z T

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Chef Gulzar said...

Hi....

your post is really amazing..it was amazingly marbled, and so flavorful!
great pics!Love it!Thanks for sharing this.


James Parker….
Gulzar Husain

4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home