Sunday, October 22, 2006

Let Them Me Eat Cake



Light and airy, cream and custard adding just the right amount of rich sweetness, and tart little strawberries making their maidenly presence. We are heading full into autumn here in the Bay Area, but there's always time for one last summery cake. Unfortunately, I do not have the recipe for this delectable morsel, but I am tempted to give it a whirl if my taste buds and memory do not play tricks on me. The whipped cream topping wasn't exactly the freshest, and neither were the strawberries- but the custard and cake itself made up for it, a delightful mix that brought to mind green grass and early summer. We've had a bit of a heat wave here in the Valley- the recent autumnal weather a near distant memory as I bit into virginal white cream topping, and blushing berries.

I have to admit, as far as desserts go, I'm a sucker for custard. Anything creamy and rich, I'm there. Flans, creme brulee, creme caramel... the list goes one. There was a book I read at an impressionable age, the details and plot long forgotten. One bit stuck with me, however- a young duckling planting his feet firmly into a custard. Goodness knows why, I'm sure the story led up to it somehow, but I simply remember thinking of the chilled custard surrounding webbed feet, and agreeing that (were you not going to eat it) it might be a nice feeling. Even the word itself is thick and cool, inspiring thoughts of sweet summer shade, and eggy desserts.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home